Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Night time in Jamaica

Michael and I arrived safe and sound in Montego Bay right on schedule. ?We had no issues with Immigration or Customs and John H. picked us up out front and brought us to the YWAM base here in Montego Bay. It is a beautiful 13-acre compound overlooking the bay and open ocean out beyond. Fortunately Tropical Storm Ernesto has not had much effect here and it did not rain all day, although most of the day was completely clouded over. John said it has been this way for several days. A funny thing happened at Customs at the airport. I was waiting in line to go through Customs and the couple in front of me already at the counter were Fred and Sue B. from Word of Life Chapel. They had arrived through a different route and are here to visit some friends. Interestingly I may be on the same flight to Miami on Sunday. We will see. It is a small world, isn't it? Sue had to snap some photos of the three of us men, but I did not get one to post from her. Sorry. Michael and I walked around today and got the lay of the land, so to speak. We also got John to give us some more electric bills to add to the spreadsheet we have to come up with some kind of pay-back time frame for a solar project. You must remember that foreign countries often charge high rates for electricity. The rate here averages around $0.43 per KWH. Check your bill at home and compare that figure to your $0.15+/- per KWH. I think you might agree that the cost for a solar grid-tie system on a system like this one will pay back quite early. Bills here are averaging above $5000.00 per month. Anyway, we will be taking current and voltage measurements around the compound tomorrow. Hopefully we will be able to investigate where it might be possible to purchase solar panels in Jamaica on another day and see how the cost would com0are to sending them here from the States. As I type this on my little Netbook using my reading glasses in total darkness using the screen light to see the keyboard, I may have some typo's. Keep tuned. On Sunday, Michael and I will leave the island at different times and he will head back to Pennsylvania, while I will meet up with Gene F. from ITEC in Miami. From there we will head to Santa Cruz, Bolivia to do an additional electrical survey. My scheduled time to arrive back in Pennsylvania is August 18. I will try to update this blog as often as I can. A church group from Pennsylvania is also here a this time, and I can hear their youth group leaders leading in their evening devotional in an adjacent building. I am very impressed with the leadership of YWAM.

No comments:

Post a Comment