Sunday, August 12, 2012

Stuck in the middle

Well, the Lord had other plans for today. The Montego Bay Airport was closed for some reason for several hours and flights got backed up and diverted. One of these was my flight to Miami. Someone said there was a pothole on the runway that needed to be fixed, another said there was an oil slick on the runway. I may never know. So my 4 hour layover in Miami was erased by a 3-1/2 hour delay. I was able to contact Tim R. by email and he texted me back to give a phone number and to say that if I missed the flight his brother Nathan would be in Santa Cruz, Bolivia on Tuesday and he could take me to Monte Blonco. Have you ever felt helpless? I got off the plane and the outgoing plsne was at the next gate. I waved at Gene F. and Tim R., but had to go from there to Immigration and Customs and once I got my bag through Customs the plane had taken off already. I was directed to the Rebooking counter only to find that tomorrow night's flight is already oversold by seven, so it is not an option. But Derrell helped me out at the counter and rebooked me into Panama City on American Airlines and then on to Santa Cruz on Copa Airlines. It is now 1:45AM and I am in the Doubletree Hotel. As it turns out my flight will leave 10 hours earlier than if I were on tomorrow's same flight. If everything goes well I will have a 3 hour layover in Panama and then will arrive at Santa Cruz at 12:47AM on Tuesday. In the morning I will contact the guys in Bolivia and see if Nathan can come to the airport in the middle of the night instead of after 7AM as he will for the guys tomorrow (today actually). Stay tuned. I seem to attract airline delays...

No comments:

Post a Comment